Sunday, August 5, 2012

STUCK: A new documentary about international adoption

Has anyone heard about this documentary?  It's called "Stuck," and is about the slow pace of international adoptions in the last several years, and some of the reasons behind the delays.  It won't debut for the public until November, but it premiered at Michael Moore's Traverse City film festival on August 3.

One statistic that floored me was that since 2006, international adoptions in the U.S. have decreased 60%.  That year, there were over 22,000 children welcomed home from other countries -- while in 2011, there were just over 9,000.  It is so frustrating to know so many parents are waiting, and know  that literally millions of children are waiting, and then see a statistic like that.

Here's a link to an article about the film:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/new-documentary-highlights-broken-international-adoption-system-79276/#JSo4P6zcbD3HFGpm.01

4 comments:

No Greater Love said...

Oh, I hadn't heard about this!! Thank you so much for the info! I know that when we started our adoption, our agency told us that not as many people were adopting, because of the state of the economy. She actually told us that people are getting through Homeland Security faster, because of less people adopting... I wonder if that has anything to do with less children coming home also. I'm not sure. But, I do know I would love to see the documentary.

Miche said...

Oh that is so sad to hear :( Perhaps the numbers will jump back up this year and next and we will see our daughters soon soon soon! :)

Emma @ Bake Sew Grow said...

I can't wait to see this documentary! It sounds very interesting. I haven't started the adoption process yet but it is something that I have always known I wanted to do from being very young, and I've always wanted to adopt from overseas. I've done a lot of research and it always baffles me how long it takes when there are so many people who would love to provide a family for these children. Surely the best thing for everyone is to get the adoption processed as quickly as possible? Looking forward to watching this.

Joy in the Journey! said...

I have not heard about it either...but my goodness that is so sad. Anytime UNICEF gets involved adoptions seem to halt....

will have to keep my eyes peeled for it1