Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lasts and firsts





































The past few weeks have brought many 'lasts' and 'firsts.' We squeezed in a few 'lasts' as we tried to hang onto summer for a few more warm days: our last trip to walk the trails at a local nature center before the leaves change colors, our official last summer trip to our favorite ice cream place, last roasted corn on the grill, and our last trip to the Lake Michigan beach in Milwaukee with Aunt Alicia.

Our 'firsts' included all three children's first days of school! Aaron entered 3rd grade, and Nathan began second grade. Even Anya Rashi is attending "school" at the YMCA while I go to a strength and resistance class. It's one hour, three times a week, and she brings a little lunch box with her snack -- this is by far the most exciting part of the deal for her!

She is doing wonderfully there, and loves the routine. The hour she attends includes story time, snack and arts/crafts. What more could a girl want? She was very proud of herself after her first visit, and beamed as she told me "Mommy, I not cry!"

Our autumn schedule is now in full swing as well, bringing Aaron's first boychoir rehearsals, and Nathan's first Cub Scout field trip to a rehabilitation center for birds of prey. He asked so many questions that I think the presenter was worried he would eventually ask something she didn't know the answer to! We also had our first multi-boy sleepover in the tent . . . which was kind of a misnomer, since not much actual sleep happened . . .

I'm experiencing a 'first' of my own -- a full-length script I wrote was chosen to be produced at our church this Christmas. It's called A Star Over Us, and is a drama about what the first Christmas might look like if it happened today. The first act is set in an emergency room, and the second act happens on the streets of the city outside the hospital.

I'm a kind of shocked that it was chosen, and excited to see what it looks like when it's staged. (Although I do have to say that it feels a little bit strange to think of 3,000+ people watching something I wrote . . .) Mostly, though, it feels like my Christmas came early this year!

10 comments:

Pam said...

Very cool Nancy! My mom and I wrote a Christmas play one year, that we did at our church. Hardly on the scale of what you are describing, but it's still cool to do soemthing like that. Love all the pics, looks like you guys were having a great time!
Hugs!

Julie & Patrick said...

Way to go Nancy! How exciting to watch your story acted out. The kids look great and like everyone found a little something to enjoy over the summer. I love the snack lunch box! I'm sure Anya feels like such a big girl.

Julie

The Labontes said...

Nancy, Congratulations! How amazing to see the entire creative process carried out on your piece! The lasts and first all look like a wonderful time. Anya Rashi looks like she is getting very tall.

Kristy

Sara said...

That is so wonderful! I'm very intrigued about your script. :) Love the pictures! Happy Fall!

Tina and Todd said...

LOVE the picture of Anya and Alicia! And I am so excited about your play you wrote - not sure where you got the time for that:) Awesome!

ColleenC said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your play!! Awesome!

Love the pics- Anya Rashi is looking adorable and so much older! Hope you get a little Indian summer up there before the cold sets in! I used to love fall up in the north.

Amanda said...

Congratulations on your play being chosen. That is big time. Wish I could come see it. Nice to see pictures. Anya is getting so big.

Todd and Michele said...

Wow Nancy! You'll have to let me know when it's going to be performed. I'd love to make it over, if it would work out. Anya sounds like she is turning into such a sweet little/big girl :)

Hugs.
Michele

Jeff and Leslie said...

Way to end the Summer with a bang! Fall has always been my favorite season though, so we're getting excited for some hiking and other discovery field trips with Manu. We've had so many "firsts" lately, I don't know what I did with myself before, LOL. Congrats on the script, I wish we could be there to see it!

Mommy Missionary said...

It's funny because someone in the store today just was asking about my girls who happened to be sitting in the cart like perfect angels. She told me to enjoy them because they grow up so fast. Great words for a young(-ish) mom to hear.

I'm also excited and intrigued about your script. What a great idea. You should post some of it for all of us to read!