Saturday, December 12, 2009

Two years ago . . .






















Two years ago today, Peter, my sister Alicia and I met Anya Rashi for the first time! It was 70 degrees in Kolkata, which felt balmy to these Wisconsin natives, who had left below-zero temps to fly off to India. On that day, we showered, made a few nervous phone calls to the baby home, and prepared gifts for the Ayahs. Then we piled into the car with our driver Nayeem and drove off to a changed life.

My most powerful memories of our visit to the baby home are that the ayahs cared very much about the children (especially one very young woman who teared up watching us hold the baby she had cared for over the past 12 months). I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pick out our daughter's face among the other babies . . . but there she was, and I knew her instantly.

Anya Rashi was not entirely happy to meet us, however! I knelt down beside the crib she stood in, and talked softly to her so she could see that we were safe people. Peter and I took turns holding her, and the ayahs gave her a bottle to soothe her. Then, we tearfully thanked the staff who watched over her. I had purposely learned how to say "thank you" in Bengali, but my wits left me, and I completely forgot in the emotion of the moment.

Then we packed ourselves back into the car, and she fell asleep on my chest. What a lovely feeling that was. It's hard to believe that tentative little baby is the noisy, joyful, busy little almost-three year old wandering through my kitchen right now. Happy two years together, Anya Rashi!

13 comments:

theheartofachild said...

So fun to remember the special day and to see how much she has grown in her forever family! Thanks for sharing these pictures!

ColleenC said...

Happy 2 year anniversary! What sweet memories!

Fenwick 5 said...

Sweet memories,and wonderful pictures. Oh reading this..I just am so excited. I know we still have a ways to go and that's ok. This wait will be so worth it and fly by while we prepare for that blessed day when we bring our girl home as a forever family. She is so cute and I can't wait to see the new little one in the mix. Gidget:)

The Labontes said...

Can you believe these guys have been with us for two years? Can you believe they were ever anywhere else? I'm so glad that our babies still recognize each other through pictures. Enjoy your memories tonight. God is so amazing - uniting us with these perfect pieces of our families.
Kristy

The Pfeiffer Family said...

This post just warms my heart. I am so happy that Anya Rashi is home with her forever family and doing so well. It will be fun to see her with her little sister. Sweet memories for sure.

April :-)

Julie & Patrick said...

Wow, two years all ready. I will never forget seeing Dev, Jenya, Max Rup and Anya Rashi in the same crib while we were there. She is growing and changing so much! Our babies are not babies anymore, are they?

By chance, do you know the name of the ayah that is holding the bottle in one of your photos? She was Dev's ayah...the one who was sweet on her and teared up when we left.

So happy for you as you experience this wonderful milestone.

Julie R

Jeff and Leslie said...

Congratulations!! It's amazing how quickly time can pass AFTER they come home. Anya Rashi is such a beautiful little girl. It sounds like you have several families that share this day with you. That can only make this occasion even more special to have that kind of camaraderie and support. We hope time passes quickly before you'll be celebrating this moment again with your next child.

Jan said...

Happy Home Coming Day!!

jasonliberty said...

Oh my! What a blessed memory! I am so excited for you 2 year anniversary:)

Liberty

Tina and Todd said...

I just cried as I read this post ... what a precious memory! She is so precious .... and adorably cute too:)
Love you all!

Pam said...

I love Adoption Days! TWO years! Wow! Where did that time go? So happy for you, and can't wait to see your new blessing!

Justice Fergie said...

Oh Happy, Happy Anniversary Anya Rashi! I got goose bumps reading this. What a beautiful family you have.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Wow, what a beautiful family you have! This anniversary must make the Christmas season all the more special for you. What a wonderful story -- thank you for sharing!