Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's showtime


Tonight is opening night for the Passion Play! Anya Rashi and I watched the first act in rehearsal on Tuesday, and was so much fun to see Aaron and Nathan in their costumes, getting ready for their first stage roles. It's a good thing I didn't take Anya Rashi to an actual performance -- when Peter first came onstage, she squealed "Daddy!!! Daddy!," and Peter almost burst out laughing.

Anya Rashi was a little upset by the scene when Jesus clears out the temple -- she's not used to seeing Daddy yell and tip over tables, apparently! She said, "Let's go get the boys now! Why was Daddy doing all that stuff?" After many times hearing the same reassurances, she seems to be satisfied with the idea that Daddy is just pretending. She has heard the same answer enough times that she can say it herself: "People forgot dat dey were 'posed to be praying in God's house."

A few people have asked about DVDs or recordings of the show. Their web site is http://www.newpassionplay.org/. I don't know how they do sales, but Peter's first year was 2009, if you're interested.

I'm so proud of all my men for helping tell the story of God's great love for each of us. Break a leg, guys!

3 comments:

Jeff and Leslie said...

I never thought about how "pretending" could affect a young child, but it makes sense. Glad she finally understood what was going on.

Your description of the rehearsal reminds me of Manu's first time on stage. It was his daycare's Christmas program, and when his class was onstage "performing" I went down close to get a few pictures. As soon as he saw me he shouted "OOh, DADDY!" at the top of his lungs and climbed down off the stage and into my arms. The crowd went crazy laughing as I picked him up and put him back. It was all the workers on stage could do to keep him from climbing back down, LOL.

Very handsome looking group of guys you've got there!

Jan said...

We're going on Saturday. Such a cute story you wrote.

Julie & Patrick said...

What a wonderful experience for your husband to share with the boys! They look great too!!

I understand how confusing it must be for Anya Rashi...but she loves her daddy!!

Julie R