Monday, November 7, 2011

Treasure


November is National Adoption Awareness Month.

If you're a long-time blog friend, you might remember that I pulled a nightstand off the curb last fall. Someone was finished with it and put it out on trash day. It had obviously been forgotten in an attic or basement for a long time, and had the cobwebs and grime to prove it. Underneath the dust, however, was good solid wood, so into my van it went. While the fall weather was still nice enough, Anya Rashi and I spent part of an afternoon washing, sanding, and priming it.

After a few months deciding what to do with it, inspiration hit. I gathered supplies and I began creating a mosaic on the table top. It takes a long time to cover 12" x 18" surface with bits of glass and tile, but it's so worth it. Inch by inch, I can see a beautiful treasure emerging.

This is the perfect time to work on it, before another inquisitive toddler joins our family. It's also been a powerful symbol of adoption for me as we wait.

Like the nightstand, our new daughter has been left alone. Through tragedy, poverty, or situations I can only guess about, she has no family to care for her. Despite her circumstances, though, she is not forgotten. She is valued and remembered by the One who created her, and she is longed for by everyone in our family. Inch by inch, as slowly as the glass and tiles cover my table top, we are getting closer to our treasure -- and she is so worth the wait. If only the journey to her was as easy as driving by and scooping her up . . .

And then she will be alone no more! We will lavish our love and attention on her, and after time allows her to trust us, the treasure of her personality will emerge, inch by inch. And that will be more beautiful than anything I can create with my two hands.

5 comments:

The Pfeiffer Family said...

Beautiful post!! You are a talented lady, too!

April :-)

Fenwick 5 said...

Loving every word of this post!! Loving how you and your daughter transformed that table from nothing much to a beautiful creation...just like a adoption story!! You gave that table a place when no one else did!! Gidget Kids fall pictures and maybe Florida pictures coming...if I can get them all loaded!LOL

Julie & Patrick said...

I've always wanted to tackle a project like this. Great job, it is going to be beautiful just like the comparative words that described it. Love it!

Julie

Traci said...

This post reminds me of an analogy someone once told me about how life is like a mosaic. Sometimes there are sharp gagged pieces in our lives, but God sees how they are put together to make the beautiful whole picture of who he wants us to be. Beautiful post, beautiful art! :)

JJ said...

I love it. It is turning out beautifully. We have been known to pull pieces of other people's "trash" of the street too. I love the saying, "one person's trash is another person's treasure."