Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A New Year

Our Christmas decorations are still up -- partly because I have a sick girl, partly because I love all the twinkling lights and can't bear to take them down!  This weekend we will un-decorate, but I'm going to enjoy them for a few more nights.
 

I like to have a LOT of lights on the tree.
We had a great time celebrating Christmas and seeing our extended families and some dear friends.  Then, a few days after Christmas, our plans were sidelined a little bit by a head cold for Anya that turned into a cough and two-day fever . . . followed by a day with no fever (we thought she was better!), then more fever and a truly horrible cough. 

So this morning, the boys went back to school, and Anya went to the doctor.  She was pleased with this arrangement -- although she feels crummy, at least her vacation is extended!  Now, armed with some medicine, we hope she will be sleeping better and coughing less.  Thankfully, no one else in the house has it -- not even me, who has been sleeping with her some of the night, and managing various symptoms.  Whew!

*   *   *   *   *

We had to cancel some plans because of illness, but before that we spent time with dear college friends, a family from church, and a family from my museum days.  And in honor of some dear friends' 20th wedding anniversary, Peter officiated at the renewal of their marriage vows.  It was such a sweet night . . . my friend Kathy surprised her husband with the vow renewal, and I made bouquets for her and their daughters.  We met them just months after they were married, and have lived life alongside them as we both became parents. 



Maybe it's part of getting a little bit older, but I am savoring these long friendships in a new way.  I treasure people who've seen me at my best and worst, and loved me through lots of different stages of life.  As the New Year begins, I am feeling so grateful for them.

Then another family dear to us was blessed by the arrival of their fourth son!  As I held him in the hospital New Year's Day, I couldn't help but think of the infant Jesus, God come to earth in the tiniest, most vulnerable form, evidence of the greatest Love the universe has ever known.  What a thing to ponder . . .

No baby photos, so instead: snow bunny!

And a snow fort, with a supply of snow balls in reserve.

Another thing I'm so grateful for is the little blogging/Facebook adoption community that I'm blessed to be part of.  I've only met a few of you in "real life," but your understanding, companionship, and encouragement during our long wait is something I treasure.  Thank you!!

I am hoping and praying that 2013 brings good news from the other side of the world for each of you!

Peter snowblowing -- and going over to the neighbors' to help.
He's a gem.

6 comments:

No Greater Love said...

And I am hoping and praying that this year brings GOOD news for you, too!

I love that bunnyman Anya made!!!

And how neat that Peter did a renewal of vows for your friends. How totally special.

May this year be one of joy and blessing....peace and love for you and your family!

Jessica said...

Nancy,

I pray your family gets word about K soon! Blessings for 2013.

And I hope Anya feels better quickly!

Julie & Patrick said...

Sorry to hear that Anya is sick again. Seems she has had more than her fair share this year! Devi keeps harping at me to arrange a Skype session for the girls.

I love leaving the decorations up as well. We have a couple more days to admire the twinkling lights of the tree too.

Yes! I am ready to hear more news about K! Can't wait!!

Julie

Mummy J said...

I totally understand leaving up the tree... You can always say that you are leaving it up till the 12th day of Christmas! :-) Happy New Year, Nancy. Next year, you will have your 4th baby with you!

Brad and Renae said...

Beautiful tree :) Happy New Year :)

Kristen said...

Um, my tree is still up and so are my outside decorations :) AND they are still turned on! Love the snowmen and I can't wait until there are 3 kiddos building them :))))